Thursday, December 10, 2015

The Hollywood Review


Tyra Knows The “Truth”


Make no mistake about it; Tyra Banks is one of the most successful, powerful, and influential supermodels in the world. Whatever she touches turns to gold, which might be a good thing as Banks has recently partnered with the Truth Campaign to inspire women to stop smoking. The cause is personal one to Tyra as she lost her grandmother to a battle with lung cancer. Tyra Beauty (Banks makeup company) and Truth have teamed up for the “Smoke Your Eyes, Not Cigarettes” campaign that features a holiday make up kit called the “Sexy Smokeshow.” In the announcement for the collaboration Tyra stated, “During my modeling career, never did I once light up a cigarette.” She went on to say, “There was enough ‘smoke’ around my eyes, I didn’t need any in my lungs.” 



Celebrity Wedding Ceremony Goes Up In Smoke?


Mary-Kate Olsen stole your heart when she made her TV debut sharing the role of Michelle Tanner on the hit 90’s show “Full House.” She and her twin sister Ashley launched an incredibly lucrative business after that. Movies, music, make up, clothes, fragrances and much more helped make the Olsen twins net worth a reported $300 million dollars. So you would think when one of them got married they’d have the best caterer in the business? You’d expect lavish spreads, the finest cuisines and much more right? Wrong.  When Mary Kate married French banker Olivier Sarkozy in November, Page Six reported the guest were treated to “bowls and bowls filled with cigarettes, and everyone smoked the whole night.” If cigarettes were the catering I wonder if the wedding favor was emphysema?


“Hello…It’s Me….”


She’s baaaaaaack. After having the biggest selling album of the last decade with “21” Adele has returned to the music scene in a huge way. Her follow up album “25” sold a record 3.8 million albums in it’s first week and shows no signs of slowing down. After a vocal cord injury forced her into a hiatus many questioned if Adele and her powerful voice would ever return. The biggest question was, is her voice up for a comeback and could she handle it? The first step was getting her voice healthy. In a recent interview with Rolling Stone magazine Adele announced she had given up smoking much to the credit of her young son Angelo. “I absolutely loved it, but it’s not that f------ cool when I’m dying from a smoking-related illness and my kid is, like, devastated.” Whatever it takes for Adele to stop I support. We need Adele’s music just like her son needs his Mom. 


Another Brit Kicks The Butt!


Speaking of British singer songwriters, Ed Sheeran is another celebrity who has kicked the habit.  During his visit with The Ellen Degeneres Show in November Sheeran commented, “I realized that I'd been smoking for 10 years and that’s bad. I started smoking when I was younger and I’d always say, like ‘I’m gonna quit. I’m gonna quit.’ And then, 'Oh well, I haven’t been smoking for that long. It’s been, what, four years like that...' and then when it got to 10 years, I was like, 'Oh... I’m probably getting to the point of no return here." Not only is Ed healthier, he’s sure to be happier as he just received Grammy Nominations for Record Of The Year and Song Of The Year.


Other Honorable Mentions…


Lady Gaga received a Golden Globe nomination for her work in “American Horror Story: Hotel.” The not so honorable part is her character is a smoker and the press photo that’s been sent out is sure to show that. 




Joseph O'Hern is the QuitDoc Foundation Community Health Advocate in Columbia County, Florida




No comments:

Post a Comment